Friday 7 June 2013

Improve Your Room!

Afternoon everyone! It's been brilliant weather this week where I live and I've managed to char-grill myself to the colour of your average lobster. Excellent. As I've been on study leave I've been spending some time trying to improve my room before summer. However, money doesn't grow on trees, particularly when you're younger and unemployed, so my lifestyle post for this week is an attempt to help you guys, and me, to improve your room for less than £20. Here are my tips!

1. Mirrors 
Mirror: Argos, £19.99
Mirrors both make your room look bigger, and help to brighten them by reflecting light. They come in a million and one different shapes and sizes and can be used both for practical purposes as well as for decoration. 

2. Pictures 

Frame: Dunelm Mill; £5.59
One of my New Years resolutions this year was to take more pictures and because of that I had piles of photos sitting in my cupboards and drawers gathering dust. To fix this, I decided to create a photo wall by pinning my pictures to my wall. Picture frames and hangers can also be used to display your photos and give your room a personal touch without costing a lot. 

3. Fairy Lights 


Fairy Lights: Amazon, £8.99
While fairy lights are not exactly the best light source for a room, they add a delicate and elegant touch to any room for a small price. I own a set that are battery operated and can be hung, pinned, or draped anyway in my room. The lights can be found in a variety of colours, shapes and sizes to suit any room! 

4. Matching furniture 

Dulux Gloss Paint: B&Q, £16.98
This may seem like an expensive option, but most furniture items are able to be easily painted to match them to the rest of your room, this gives your room an cleaner and more put together look. Paint sample sizes are available for a low cost if you are just painting small items too. 

5. Candles

Yankee Large Jar Candles: yankeecandles.co.uk £19.99
Candles add a more grown up look to any room, even when they are not being burned. Most candles are now beautifully packaged and you can pick up intricate and beautiful candle holders and stands for only a few pounds in many hardware and design shops. Obviously, if you're young, you should ask your parents permission before burning candles in your room! 

Other ways to improve your room can be found in shops like Dunelm Mill, B&M and hardware shops like Homebase and B&Q. Even the high street shops like Primark now stock home-ware like pillows, decals, wall hangings, pictures and candles. Simple changes like displaying jewellery and matching product bottles can help make your room look the way you want it too. 


I'll update again this weekend with a book review, I'm currently re-reading '13 Reasons Why..' so I may do that, but I'm also considering doing a 'Book to Movie adaptations that I can't wait to see!' post as many of many favourite novels are being made into films over the next year or so. Have an amazing day! 

Rachel x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik