Tuesday 7 May 2013

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Evening folks,

It's been an absolute age since I last posted, I mean really, 2 months is unacceptable. However it does mean that I have a pile of 'read' books that I intend to review! I figured I'd start off with the one I read the first, so today I'm going to be reviewing 'Divergent' by Veronica Roth.


First off, I absolutely adored this book, I'd heard really good reviews of it from all over the web, so I was obviously quite far behind on this particular series! Divergent is the first in a trilogy of books, with a second book Insurgent having been released last year and the final book Allegiant expected sometime this Autumn in the UK. The book takes place in Chicago in the (relatively) near future, and centres around Tris (Beatrice) Prior, a young girl. Without going into too much detail, this future society that Tris lives in is split into 5 factions, Abnegation, Erudite, Dauntless, Amity and Candor. Each of these factions represent a different virtue of humanity, for example Abnegation people are selfless. Tris is born Abnegation but everything changes when she takes her aptitude test, which all 16 year olds take, to decide which faction they are best suited too.  

This is one packed book, a lot happens in a short space of time but I never felt like I didn't understand bits of  it. It's clear and well planned and still manages to be fast paced. The book reminds me slightly of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins with the whole 'warped future society' themes, as well as the 'training' that Tris goes through once she selects her faction. The main characters are extremely well described, and I especially liked that Tris is portrayed as being 'weak' enough to make her relatable. 


My main problem with the book is that the ending seemed a bit rushed, there is a very large section in the middle where a lot happens without there being any major plot development, which is followed as 5 or so chapters of manic action. This doesn't take away from my overall love for the book, or my desire to read Insurgent (which I purchased recently, so expect a review soonish) but I feel like doing nothing but praise the books I review is silly.

Overall 

Plot  
Characters
Themes
Books I'd compare it too: The Hunger Games, and Tris reminds me slightly of Cary in The Mortal Instruments series

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik