Friday 24 May 2013

Favourite 5 Book Series'


Happy Friday everyone, hope you've all had a wonderful week! This week’s post is going to be a ‘5 Series of Books’ post. I was originally going to do 10, but after last week’s marathon ’10 books..’ post, the thought of doing ten this week made me feel a little bit ill. I’ll add a paragraph at the end with a few notable other series’ that you should check out! (Disclaimer: as per, these are my opinions, I am not the be all and end all of book readers, so please don’t get too annoyed if my choices don’t match up with yours!)


 1.  The Harry Potter Series by J K Rowling
Books in the series: Harry Potter and the; Philosopher’s Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince, Deathly Hallows


Need I even explain? Come on guys, it’s Potter. In my opinion, the best series of books ever written, has inspired millions of spin off books, dozens of extremely popular websites, a musical, and let’s not even mention the fan fiction. If you need a book for anyone aged between 8 and 108, you can give them the Potter books. Unrivalled in its popularity, the Potter series is worth billions of pounds and the movies are some of the best book to movie adaptions ever. I’m not revealing anything from the series, except that well… Harry’s a wizard (SORRY- SPOILER ALERT.) There are enough books to keep you going for a considerable period of time, and re-reading is definitely an option. Honestly, if you enjoy reading or if you can read at all- give these books a try.


 2  . A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
Books in the series: The Bad Beginning, The Reptile Room, The Wide Window, The Miserable Mill, The Austere Academy, The Ersatz Elevator, The Vile Village, The Hostile Hospital, The Carnivorous Carnival, The Slippery Slope, The Grim Grotto, The Penultimate Peril, The End



'A Series of Unfortunate Events' follows the trials and tribulations of the Baudelaire orphans, Klaus, Violet and Sunny , after they lose both of their parents in a tragic house fire. One of the most famous series’ of books ever, I read these between the ages of 8 and 11 but I’d still re-read them as there was a lot of the darker humour that I didn’t grasp before. Plus, there were a lot of long words in these books, which you can probably tell from the varied vocabulary in the titles. These books go against every ‘rule’ in the book for children’s and young adult writing, but they work. The only thing I have against these books is that I didn’t particularly enjoy book 13 as much as I hoped I would.

 3. The Wolves of Mercy Falls by Maggie Stiefvater
Books in the series: Shiver, Linger, Forever



I confess, I have ‘Forever’ sitting in my book cupboard and yet I have not read it, but ‘Shiver’ and ‘Linger’ are two of my most loved books ever and I’m sure ‘Forever’ will be the same. The books focus on Grace, a young girl with an affinity for the wolves which inhabit the woods around her home, and Sam, a boy who just so happens to be a wolf. Without spoiling too much, their relationship develops and they end up fighting both humans and wolves. They make some friends along the way and the storyline develops brilliantly. Perhaps not the most intellectually challenging books you will read but definitely worth picking up as I had to read both of these books in one go, they are that hard to put down.

 4.  House of Night series by PC and Kirstin Cast
Books in the series; Marked, Betrayed, Chosen, Untamed, Hunted, Tempted, Burned, Awakened, Destined, Hidden, Revealed, Redeemed (Italics – unreleased) 



The House of Night series is a vampire series, but it’s not particularly Twilight-esque due to the fact that the main heroine, Zoey Redbird, is a million times cooler than all the Twilight characters put together. She’s 16 and is turned into a Vampyre at the beginning of Marked, so she enrols in the (slightly creepy) House of Night School for fledgling vampires. She soon meets friends and boyfriends and is having a nice little time of it before a war practically breaks loose amongst the Vampyres. Basically, all hell breaks loose over the course of the next few books and there are some major plot twists. I just love Zoey because despite her (major) other problems, she still manages to do really human things like mess up with her boyfriend or fall out with friends.

 5.  The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clara
Books in the Series; City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, City of Heavenly Fire 



I’ve spoken about this series of books before in lots of posts, they were recommended to me by my best friend and oh.my.gosh. These are my new favourite books, so far I’ve only read City of Bones, Ashes and Glass but I plan on buying the next two as soon as possible. The main character is Clary Fray, a young girl who sees a fight in a bar before realising that she is the only one who is able to see the brawlers. The story unfolds that she is not simply a human and is able to see the world of The Shadowhunters, a race intended to protect humanity from Demons, Vampires, Werewolves and other mythical creatures. Clary’s mother is taken and she is rescued by Jace, a young shadowhunter. The books are amazing, there’s a movie coming out in the winter and you should read them, soon.

Honourable mentions should also go to the Twilight Saga, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series and to The Hunger Games for being brilliant. I think I might post twice this upcoming week as I’m off school due to exam leave. Comment below with post ideas and some of you guys’ favourite series’! 

Rachel x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik