Wednesday 10 July 2013

New Find!

Evening everybody, I'm sure you've all had a great week so far! Can I take a second to just say how unbelievably happy I was to see Andy Murray win Wimbledon on Sunday. Being Scottish, we do tend to be quite emotionally invested in any sportsman or woman who does well and Andy is a bit of a national treasure. Anyway, this weeks life-y post is going to be about an artist I've been particularly enjoying this week/month. Now, up until last week this post would definitely have been on Kodaline, but as wonderful (really- amazing) they are, I have since discovered Mike Dignam. And boy, has he taken over as number 1 quickly.


I actually discovered Mike on one of my frequent YouTube sessions where I just click from 'related video' to 'related video' until I eventually get bored. Around 90% of the time this just takes me into the darker, cat filled areas of YouTube, however, on this particular occasion it led me to Mike's song 'Great Escape' which had me completely hooked. 

Basically, Mike has released 2 EP's so far 'Paint' and 'Young' and is releasing a new EP 'Live, Love, Sing' in early August. After listening to a few more of his songs I downloaded his first two EP's for the princely sum of £6.32 for 8 songs. Bargain. 

Paint
'Paint' features 'Great Escape,' 'Keep Up Lady,' 'Lungs,' and 'Relentless.' I'm going to start by saying that I genuinely love all eight of his songs but I'm going to focus on just one from each EP. So, to begin with 'Keep Up Lady' is probably my favourite song of his, the song is both upbeat and.. For lack of a better word, totally kickass. He is basically addressing this girl and telling her that anything that was once between them is totally over. The perfect 'fuck you' track with lines like 'What we had got damaged now it's nothing like before' 'Don't try tempt me, I know just what you are' and 'Come on Darling, don't be so alarmed- this all went wrong.' You'll soon be stomping all over your ex's/past loves. Hell yes. 

Young
'Young' features 'Young,' 'I'll Lie Here,' 'You Got Me,' and 'When You Coming Home.' By complete contrast, by far my favourite song from this EP is 'When You Coming Home' which is a completely beautiful and melodic song about a guy who misses his 'love' who has left him. I'm a total sap for a decent love song and this is genuinely one of the best I've heard. Dignam's voice is reminiscent of James Morrison and Joe Brook's (both of whom I love) in all of his songs, but at some of the more desperate sounding bits you can really here James Morrison esque twangs in his voice. The song lasts almost 6 minutes and has some truly beautiful lyrics which aren't really done justice by being quoted here however phrases such as 'do you need me, or are you fine alone?' 'I know your out there, somewhere without me' and 'If I mended whats damaged would you come back again, if the old me was selfish would anything change?' are just a few of the phrases. 

My favourite lyric of his also comes from this song, 'I've not been sleeping, I've missed your breathing next to me and if I drift off then I must be dreaming that you are here.' Beautiful.  

'Great Escape' is also obviously brilliant and 'Lungs' and 'I'll Lie Here' get honourable mentions for also being excellent sappy love songs. 

Clearly, I'm totally hooked on this guy, and as many of you as possible should be too as I genuinely think he could be massive one day. If you've stuck it out till here then you obviously want to listen to him so I'll link his YouTube and website below. See you on Saturday! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik