Saturday 1 March 2014

Film Friday: The Book Thief

Hey guys! The Book Thief was finally released this week in the UK and this evening I headed to the cinema to see it. I simply adored the book, it's one of my absolute favourites and for those of you who haven't read that, I would totally recommend it. However that's not necessary for the film. I'll do a spoiler free paragraph and then warn you when I'm about to go into detail. 


Essentially, I was extremely worried about the producers turning this book into 'just another war film' (the book is set in Germany in the late 1930's and 40's.) However this film is, in my opinion, an absolute triumph. The acting is superb and is helped by the fact that most of the cast is relatively unknown, with the exception of Geoffrey Rush. Sophie Nelisse, who plays Liesel Memminger- the main character, is amazing. She really captures the youth of Liesel, despite the various tragedies she faces. Equally the actor who plays Rudy, ____, shines. He was by far my favourite character in the book and I completely fell in love with him again in the film. The film stays relatively true to the book and I cannot complain in that respect as the best elements of Zusak's book are impeccably recreated. The scenery is beautiful and the filming techniques bring the story to life in a way that will undoubtedly have you laughing and crying. 

Now for the spoilers. 

Oh my, how I cried. For those you who have read the book AND PLEASE PLEASE LOOK AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T, the deaths of Hans, Rosa, and poor Rudy are all completely heart wrenching as is the moment when Max has to leave. Max is a character that I feared would be overlooked but his impact on Liesel is celebrated and it was very nearly in tears when he woke up from his coma like state. Rudy essentially just makes me want to cry, a little boy with so much talent and promise and all he wanted was a kiss from Liesel and basically I can't cope with his death, even 5 years after I first read the book. Death's narration adds a whole other level to the story, a sort of microcosm on the nature of death. The opening and closing lines are also included which makes me want to cry even now (the line 'I am haunted by humans' is one of my favourite in literature.) Equally, the end scene is wonderfully done and does true justice to Liesel and Max. I haven't been this happy with a book to movie adaption in a long, long time and after last years disappointment with how The Mortal Instruments was adapted, this has brought me fresh hope in the movie business. 

There will be a Motivational Monday post for sure if I cannot post anything before then, if not- have a wonderful weekend. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik