Sunday 5 January 2014

REVIEW: Vampire Academy

Hey guys, this weeks book review is of the first book in the Vampire Academy series. After months and months of pestering by my friend Alex, I finally download Vampire Academy to listen to on Audible over my holidays, and I totally loved it. First off; this series is NOT TWILIGHT! I repeat: not twilight.


The book is set in America, but in a society where vampires or Moroi are protected by Dampires (half human half vampire) from the Stigoi (Moroi who have passed into the realm of the dead.) The novel opens as Rose, a Dhampir and Lissa, a Moroi are living as runaways in Portland. However they are soon captured and brought back to the Academy that they are supposed to be attending. The book is then split between explaining the events leading up to their escape from the school and their time away, and the events which take place over the first 2 months of their return to the school.


I'm actually not going to 'spoil' this book, because the general plot is not particularly well known even in the YA world and also because it's not particularly easy to explain and I can't be bothered to go into a lot of detail!

However I will say that Richelle Mead captures the teenage narrative better than anybody else. Rose Hathaway, whom the story is told from, is suitably kick ass as a Guardian but she also has a vast array of comebacks and a lippy attitude that's actually not too far away from how I aim to be in day to day life. The whole Academy system is pretty accurate compared to a regular high school, aka loads of bitching and a ridiculous amount of backstabbing.

While I wouldn't quite place the Vampire Academy books in the high position of the likes of The Mortal Instruments and the Divergent series, Alex assures me that they only get better as each book progresses so I absolutely will continue on with this series and I can't wait to see how it continues! Plus I am super, super excited for the movie that's released in February! I will be back this week with Top Ten Tuesday, Lifestyle and Film Friday posts but until then, have a wonderful week and rest of weekend!


Plot: 9/10
Characters: 9/10
Overall: 8.5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik