Sunday 2 November 2014

Ed Sheeran

Hiya guys, again I have to apologise for my lack of blogging presence in the last week. However it has been another busy one, and I can't believe that this time last week I hadn't even started the new term yet, the October holidays feel like they were centuries ago! I also cannot believe it's November, which means it's my birthday month! 

Before I get too excited for my birthday and the inevitable Christmas festivities that Christmas heralds, I'd better get to the point of this post. On Thursday, I headed through to Glasgow in the drizzling rain to see Ed Sheeran for the third time. This particular concert was at the SSE Hydro. 

I'll insert pictures of the gig below, but we were lucky (and tactical) enough to get within 5 or 6 rows from the front, right in the middle- which, in a standing pit of 5000 people, was fairly impressive. Ed was, as usual, totally flawless and the gig itself was amazing. He had Saint Raymond as his main support act, who was amazing and he and his band rocked the stage for their full 30 minutes and I'm sure will have gained themselves many more fans throughout the course of this tour. 


One of my personal highlights was mid-way through, Ed stopped after a particularly patriotic ramble about how wonderful Scotland is (which is true.) to say that he hadn't played this song in two years, but that he was going to 'give it a go.' He then launched into a perfect rendition of Wild Mountain Thyme, which is one of my most favourite Scottish songs and was just excellent for Ed. I'll link a video of his performing it a couple of years ago here x


As you can see, the setlist gave a really wide variety of songs from both X and + which is always great. It really winds me up when artists perform a setlist of only playing songs from their latest album (I'm looking at you, Arctic Monkeys.)

Other highlights included an amazing performance of I See Fire, which featured footage from the Hobbit films of Smaug being super creepy and amazing which from the fifth row was a little overwhelming as a huge dragon seemed to swoop over the stage from 20 feet away. Everyone screaming out the lyrics to Drunk was another highlight and the crowd filing out of the venue still singing the 'whoa-oh-oh-whoa-oh-oh-oh' bit from Sing long after Ed had retreated to the calm of backstage. 


I forget, every single time I see him live how amazing Sheeran really is live, and while my music taste is usually centred further away for the hordes of screaming fans, I do have a very special place in my heart for the 'choir boy in a Fenchurch tee'

Until next time, have a lovely week folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik