Thursday 5 March 2015

Trip of a Lifetime

Hey folks, once again I'm so sorry that I've had a little bit of a break from blogging and I need to get back on track! Here is my much promised post on my trip to South Africa with my school last month. We started off our journey in a town called Douglas, near the township where our link school, Bongani High, is situated. This was absolutely amazing and it was so incredibly lovely seeing the South African children that had travelled over to Scotland in September again. 










After a wonderful week in Douglas, we took a six hour bus journey South to the Karoo (not the Kruger) National Park- this was really only a stop over but the scenery was impressive and we went on a Zebra spotting game drive. 





After the Karoo we had another six hour bus journey (by this stage we were very used to sitting on our arses!) to Cape Town. Here we visited Robben Island, where Mandela was imprisoned, went up Table Mountain and visited the impressive V+A Waterfront Shopping Centre (where you could easily spend two weeks by itself!)








I had an amazing time with some really amazing people and I wish I could do it all over again. The pictures don't do the place justice but South Africa is an amazing country that has seen more political development in the past twenty years than in the 300 before that. The inequalities that were so clear in Bongani were a stark contrast to the wealth of Cape Town but no matter where you are you are aware that the South Africans are an amazing group, and I cannot recommend visiting enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik