Monday 12 August 2013

'the forbidden room' review!

Hey guys! Apologies for this review being a day late but I go back to school after my summer holidays tomorrow so I have been making the most of my final few days! I also promised a new feature last Friday, however I now plan on revealing that this Friday! 



I was given 'The Forbidden Room' by my younger sister and I feel like it's definitely aimed at the 8-12 year old market. The book is roughly 250 pages long and is a very very quick read. It details Jenny's move from a care home to her new foster family.

I'm going to be honest, this book isn't great, it's very simple storytelling and at times it feels very much like there is a lot of 'he said' 'she said' 'they thought' kind of dialogue, which gets boring. The plot is okay, it's very far fetched but all the loose ends are tied off and you do eventually discover why the Holland family seem so strange. 

Overall I wouldn't recommend it to anyone older than maybe 13 unless you prefer shorter books or aren't as advanced a reader. It did win the 'WOW Factor' award which is kind of understandable considering the explanation for the Holland's (Jenny's foster family) strange behaviour, it's all very sci-fi. 

Plot: 3/10
Characters: 2/10
Overall: 3/10 

I'll hopefully get another review in this week too, as well as Top Ten Tuesday tomorrow and a lifestyle post on Wednesday, plus my new Friday feature. However, as I am starting my Highers this year (equivalent of A Levels) I may be struggling to fit in enough time to write and read so much as school work has to take priority. Until tomorrow, have a good day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik