Thursday 29 January 2015

January Favourites!

Hi hi, it's once again 'that time of the month' and I have a fairly hefty January favourites for you guys this month. Unbelievably, that's already 1/12th of the year gone, although I have to say that January did drag a little, what with having exams and no money for the last couple of weeks. Anyway, roll on February, and I'm extra excited as I leave for South Africa in just over a week! Now let's look at what I've been loving this month!



 I spoke a little at the end of last year about the L'oreal Blake's Red lipstick, and how much I loved it. I also mentioned that I had been reliably informed that it was a great dupe for Mac's Ruby Woo, so when I received Debenham's vouchers for Christmas I felt it was only fair to give the Mac version a shot. Unsurprisingly, I adore it. Whilst you do need to drag it along your lips slightly as it's not the creamiest formula, I don't find it drying on the lips and the staying power is insane. Last weekend I put it on before a 5 hour work shift in a busy cafe, which involved splashing water, a little bit of the SUL syndrome, and a lot of talking and smiling at customers. A lot of the rest of make-up had made it's way steadily off my face, but my lipstick remained and I even got a couple of compliments on it from customers! It's not cheap, and I'm not sure if I love it enough more than the Blake's red to fully recommend going straight in for the expensive option, but if you love a classic red lipstick- this is your gal.

I finally caved into the Naked obsession around the end of the year, and I received the Naked 2 as a Christmas present. I cannot actually put into words how much I adore this palette, I did a full review on it which I'll link here but I've really struggled to not use it every single day. Half-Baked and YDK are my stand-out shades but you could genuinely fall in love with every single colour in the palette and there isn't one shade in there that I would pin point for being unusable. I really do think I'll have to pick up the original Naked palette at some point this year when my funds are a bit more in order, but for now I'll be the girl in the corner staring lovingly at her own eye make-up. 



After finishing my L'oreal Lumi Magique foundation at the start of the month I headed into Boots to pick up another one, before I remembered hearing an awful lot of hype about the Benefit Healthy Mix foundation, so I picked that one up instead and it was definitely a great choice. Whilst I don't think it's my favourite foundation ever, it is undeniably brilliant- the coverage is fab and the shade range is fairly comprehensive too. I can't really speak for the skin benefits that the foundation claims to have, but it certainly hasn't broken my skin out any more than it normally does and in general I haven't had any problems with it!


Another little Mac piece I picked up this month was their paint-pot in the shade Genuine Treasure. I bought this from a seller on Depop (I'll link my post explaining here) so I think it's actually been discontinued/was from a limited collection, and I don't think it's available any more. However, for explanation purposes, Genuine Treasure is a deep browney black shade with golden glitter through it, but when it's actually swatched the base colour (the brown) is actually fairly sheer, so whilst you can build it up to be a really comprehensive smoky, glittery eye- you can also have a sheer light brown which will glitter like mad when the light hits your eye! My only complaint about this product is that the glitter will seriously stick around, long after the brown has been removed, and you do have to use a cloth/make-up wipe to remove it. 



This was another Christmas present from a friend of my Mum, and I really wasn't expecting much when I saw the packaging. I've seen a lot of gimmicky products that claim to have amazing effects from unknown brands that fall flat on their claims, but this is genuinely amazing. The idea is that you do your lashes as normal, then apply a coat of the mascara you get in the kit, before sweeping the 'fibres' up over your lashes. The fibres then stick to the tacky younique mascara and you get the impression of thicker, longer lashes. Once you set it all with another layer of their mascara you end up with natural looking super long lashes, and this is coming from a girl with short, super stumpy lashes. I cannot recommend this enough and whilst it's easy enough to over-do, this is easy enough for any mascara novice and avoids all the faffing with fake lashes or complicated mascaras. 


This was another bit from my last Glossybox and whilst I am always sceptical about any product claiming to be a magic spot remover but this stuff actually does tame spots, even if it doesn't clear them completely. My best guess is that it contains tea tree and witch hazel, and it certainly has a strong smell. It's double ended and supposedly you apply one during the day, and the creamy one at night and give yourself full time spot protection, although I don't know how essential it is that one is applied at each time. I tend to just dap this on any spots at night and let it do it's stuff, which I have found is excellent. It's crazy cheap too so worth checking out if you're looking for something to help your acne or breakouts. 


This is pretty much the only book I finished this month, but it was a pretty fab one. I've spoken in the past about how much I enjoyed Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith, and this is the sequel to the thriller. The story continues a year or so following the end of the last book and follows former Soviet agent Leo Demitrov as he tries desperately to keep his family safe and atone for his past mistakes. I love any books based on either Russia/German post war espionage and these are some of the best. I can't wait to read the final book in the sequel, Agent 6, and see the film version of Child 44 when it's released later this year!



This was my Christmas holiday obsession and whilst I'd been unable to really 'get into' Arrested Development when I started it a few months ago, I became obsessed with the ridiculousness that is the Netflix show. It is in no way emotionally, intellectually or mentally challenging and it's more than a little bit silly- but I loved it, and seeing how the Bluth family interacts with each other is nothing short of hilarious. Michael Cera is a stand-out in it, but every character is individual and you really do get to see the story from everyones point of view throughout the four seasons. I love this and while it's  a bit of an acquired taste, it's well worth checking out.


After having consumed both the British and US version of the Office, the entirety of Game of Thrones, OITNB, Arrested Development, Supernatural, Teen Wolf, and so so many more TV shows, I needed something new, and something that I could really get into without it being too engaging that I couldn't be getting on with all that 'new year, new me' nonsense. Enter Parks and Rec, my new favourite show ever (ok, no, The Office US still wins but it's so close!) As someone who actually has a vested interest in going into politics, Lesley Knope is a character that I completely adore and watching her attempt to navigate her government career is both hilarious and heartwarming. (SPOILER) I won't lie, I totally cried when she got city councillor. All of the 'support' characters are so much more than that, and it's a close tie as to whether Andy and April or Lesley and Ben are my favourite couple. Regardless, I cannot recommend this show enough and you all HAVE to go watch it ASAP. Treat yo' self. 


My love for Chai Lattes is well documented in the pages of this blog and for good reason, I absolutely adore the drink. However prior to this month it's always Chai tea-bags that I've been drinking, unless I'm buying from the likes of Starbucks. However whilst perusing the shelves of the Tesco drinks isle in early January I discovered an instant chai mix that you use like instant hot chocolate. Long story short, it's amazing, I can't stop drinking it and I cannot recommend it highly enough, even if it's not exactly the healthiest drink the World has ever seen!

Phew! That was quite the marathon post, congratulations if you stuck in till the end and I hope I've inspired you into some new loves for the next month or so. As always, tell me what you've been loving this month below and I'll be back on Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik