Sunday 8 June 2014

30 Day Challenge; Day Twenty-Four- Harry Potter or Twilight? Discuss.

Afternoon everyone, it's FINALLY Saturday and I could not be more thankful for that! Today's post is all about the ongoing debate about whether or not Twilight or Potter is better. Now, anyone who has come across a blog post of mine in the past will most likely be aware that I'm a huge Potter fan, so for me JK's books will always win out. 

However, I forced myself to be objective about this, as Twilight would not have been as popular as it was if it wasn't at least a little good. I read all the books, and have seen all of the films, so it did once appeal to me. So why don't I love it anymore?
I think the real issue with Twilight is that it appeals to a very closed bracket of people, particularly young girls aged 10 to 15. Potter, by contrast, is timeless, my younger sister adores the franchise, as does my 60 year old Father. When I went to the Harry Potter studios in London, a boy who couldn't be older than 3 stood on the replica of the Hogwarts Bridge and shouted 'Mummy, look! I'm just like Neville!' and that, if nothing else, has proven to me than there will be another generation of Potter lovers, and hopefully many more after that.
I plan on reading Potter to my children, but I would never consider reading Twilight. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily tell them not to read the books- I can't see them being appealing to children in 10 or 20 years time. The Potter films and cinematically beautiful and the actors (particularly the so called 'Golden Trio') became their characters in the best possible way, and you could see how much they loved it. In contrast, the actors in the Twilight films seem to hate the franchise, particularly Robert Pattinson.

The two will never be directly comparable, which is the true moral of this argument, because regardless of your view point, you have to appreciate that the two have encouraged thousands, if not millions of children to read and be interested in a media form. And if that's not a good thing, then I don't know what is.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik