Wednesday 24 December 2014

BLOGMAS DAY TWENTY-FOUR // My Year in Music! (part 1)

Afternoon everyone! I cannot believe we're finally at Christmas Eve- only a few more days to go and we'll be into 2015, which completely doesn't bear thinking about! 2014 has been an amazing year for me in terms of music- not only did I get to go to T in the Park, but I've also seen Fall Out Boy, Gary Barlow (I got free tickets?!) Ed Sheeran, Chvrches, and Ben Howard all live!

I've also discovered some of my new favourite artists, from cementing my fledgling love for George Ezra to rediscovering my old obsession with Twin Atlantic and finding one of my favourite bands in Catfish and the Bottlemen- I have been around the block in terms of music obsession this year. Spotify recently released a feature that allows you to see 'your year in music' and whilst mine isn't entirely accurate as I didn't get a Spotify premium subscription until mid-November. However it basically tells me that I listened to a hideous amount of Catfish and the Bottlemen's new album- The Balcony, and an embarrasing amount of Hunter Hayes songs from 5 years ago in Summer. 

I thought I'd do a little walkthrough of my year in music by trying to pick out my favourite song from each of my monthly Music Faves, with the exception of April because I appear to have missed that month! Either way, here's my twelve favourite songs of 2014! 

January- Sweater Weather // The Neighbourhood

This featured high up on my Spotify faves list and I can remember being obsessed with this song for a period of maybe six months solid. I actually adore most of The Neighbourhood's album "I Love You." particularly 'Let it Go' which, contrary to what you're thinking, is not the same as the hit Disney Frozen song, I promise. They're a bit of a one-hit wonder but their latest single is called #icanteven which I LOVE. So check them out!

February- Sail // Awolnation

This song was one of the most played of 2013/14 and you can see why, it's opening few bars are enough to make you want to strap on some black leather boots and stamp on everyone whose ever wronged you in your life. It's the best song for getting stuff done and it's easy to see why it was so popular this year. 

March- What Would I Do Without You? // Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors

This song was featured in an episode of How I Met Your Mother, and I fell in love with it as soon as I heard it. I don't have much to say about this other than that it's a beautiful wee song that I really do love deeply.

April- Shake, Shake, Shake // Bronze Radio Return


Another rather bizarre choice, but this is one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard. Once again it's by some rather unknown band from the US and I'm not aware of any of their other music, I think I discovered this song on Spotify radio and at the end of the day I don't have much other reason to justify it being on my list other than that I've listened to it a massive amount this year and I still love it.

May- Iron Sky //  Paolo Nutini

This year Paolo Nutini FINALLY released a follow up album to his worldwide successes 'These Streets' and 'Sunny Side Up,' and while 'Caustic Love' was entirely different to the previous two albums, I truly adore it too. It's a lot darker, a bit rustier and full of soul and none of the songs encapsulate this fact more than Iron Sky, which is by far and far my favourite from the new album. Not bad for a wee lad fae Paisley.

June- Promise // Ben Howard

I quite genuinely believe that this may be one of the most beautiful songs of all time, Ben Howard's first album was gorgeous in it's entirety but tucked away as the last track is Promise. The only thing I wouldn't recommend doing is listening to this whilst in any way upset, or late in the evening- as you're bound to get extremely emotional. This wasn't a very summery song and yet it's one of my favourites ever.  

I hope you all have a truly wonderful Christmas and that Santa is very good to you! I will have a post up tomorrow and then blogmas will continue until the 31st December because I love blogging everyday for you guys so much! As I said, have an amazing Christmas and I will see you soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik